With most cellular subscriptions you can use internet abroad, but the costs involed are usually much higher than in your own country. If your country is a member of the EU this has become significantly cheaper over time, but you can still get a much better deal than 20 cents per MB.
There is a second solution, in Iceland there is only one complete-covering ISP providing the cellular network. This provider is called Siminn. Siminn sells prepaid SIM-cards which you can use for calls, texts and data. This means you get your own local Iceland number, but you can buy 31-day subscriptions much cheaper than pay per MB at your original provider.
To order an subscription you need an Siminn prepaid-card. You can buy these at the grocery store, gasstations and even in flights of Icelandic Air. This will cost you €13 euro ($17 dollar). This amount is returned in credits, which can be used to internet/call. However, since this is prepaid, the €13 equals out to around 250MB. If you are data-hungy (like watching Youtube, netflix, uploading photos etc) I reccomend ordering an internet subscription described below.
Prices for this subscription is as follows (rounded prices due to fluxution of the exchange):
|Subscription||Price kr.||Price €||Price $|
|500 MB (31 days, starts after purchase)||690 kr.||around €4,-||around $5,-|
|1 GB (31 days, starts after purchase)||1290 kr.||around €8,-||around $10,-|
|5 GB (31 days, starts after purchase)||2290 kr.||around €15,-||around $20,-|
|10 GB (31 days, starts after purchase) optional USB Dongle||3290 kr.||around €21,-||around $28,-|
|50 GB (31 days, starts after purchase) optional USB Dongle||5290 kr.||around €34,-||around $45,-|
|100 GB (31 days, starts after purchase) optional USB Dongle||6990 kr.||around €45,-||around $60,-|
note: You need an creditcard to order these subscriptions.
You need to follow these steps to order one of these subscriptions:
- Buy an Siminn prepaid-card at a grocery store / gas stations / Icelandic Air.
- Insert the SIM-card in your mobile phone and enter provided PIN.
- Download and install the Siminn Mobile Application: (Android | iOS)
- Verify your number (first card: "Siminn pinn" -> enter phone number (present on card) -> Press "Fa SMS lykiloro" -> enter code from SMS).
- Go to "Afyllinger og pakkar" (buying a new 31-day subscription).
- Select "3G gagnapakkar" and choose the subscription you want. You can also buy SMS/minutes or put new credit your prepaid card but using prepaid-credits is more expensive than a subscription.
- Enter your credit-card information at "Greidslumati" and press "Kaupa".
- You've just bought yourself a subscription. You can use the Application to see how many MB you've got left.
For more information go to: